Last weekend I toyed around a bit and tried to write a shared object
library that can be used via
LD_PRELOAD to minimize the effect a
program has on the Linux filesystem
Basically the use case is that you have a productive system running, and you don't want your backup script to fill the filesystem cache with mostly useless information at night (files that were cached should stay cached). I didn't test whether this brings measurable improvements yet.
The coding was really fun and provided me with yet another insight how the simple concept of file descriptors in UNIX is just great. (GNU software is tough, though: I got stuck once, and found help on Stackoverflow, which I had never used before.)